Re: Potential Transformer Source

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

 > Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > How about a baby pole transformer instead? Before you
 > spend $350 plus, maybe you should ask these guys for a
 > price quote:
 >
 > http://midcentralelectric-dot-com/main.html
 >
 > They sell "baby" pole xfmrs in the 500VA to 3KVA
 > range. These are brand-new units, not reconditioned or
 > salvaged. Might be worth a phone call just to find out
 > if the price is reasonable. If you do call them,
 > please share your price quote with the list. I'm
 > curious about their cost too.

I have one of these transformers. A few comments

There is a fuse in the bushing- overload the tranformer and it WILL blow.

Since they are sold as "fixed duty" I'm not sure what their overload
capacity really it is probably not much higher than the normal rating. you
run lights off them, not a neighboorhood with peak consumption trends in the
evening. They are true step-lap cored units, so they are really like a
mini-distribution transformer. My 1kVA unit is 70 pounds.

KEN