Re: House Circuits

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 05:30 PM 29/04/03 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 >For those of you that use PDT's or potential transformers, once you've
 >ballasted a la Home Depot 500ft spool, there's still a good 20-30A
 >draw on the mains.  Given the fact that most houses have 15A outlets,
 >possibly 20A in some spots, how have you wired your power to handle
 >this safely?
 >
 >I am considering installing a 40A circuit breaker in my box, with the
 >appropriate rated wires to the garage and backyard.  It's trivial
 >to do, and might be good for other purposes as well. I have to check
 >the local code to see what is allowable and what is not, possibly
 >I will have an electrician do it.
 >
 >How have you done it? :)

Hi Jeremy,

It would be money well spent.  One bit of advice I can offer is that
you make the circuit four wire rather than three.  Or in other words,
two hots, a neutral, and a ground.  That way you have both 240 Volt
and 120 Volt available, something that's very handy.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody has survived it yet!"

Listening: 7,055, 147.030+, and 442.075+
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle