RE: T&R Electric - No More...

Hi,

But Ralph...  If the MOVs are smoking, they are working just fine
;-)))  When your NST blows, is when you want to blame me :D  Of course, if
you do things right, the MOVs will not smoke either...

The signal generator is real nice!!  It is worth almost enough money to
cover your attorney's retainer :o)))  Probably best to spend the money on a
generator for yourself.  Then in a few years, you would still having
something to show for it :D

Before this thread deteriorates to the point of needing to be trashed...

If indeed someone was hurt playing with a pole transformer in their
garage.  I hope their injuries were not serious or worse :-((   Of course,
legal recourse would depend on many many things such as the extent of the
injuries.  Did they break a toe moving it, or were they killed...  Then
there is the liability question.  If the transformer was blatantly
defective and they deliberately sold him "the bad one" knowing full well it
was dangerous, or if the transformer performed perfectly as designed and
delivered powered correctly to the "load"...

There are many "stories", "exaggerations", and "tales" about
lawsuits...  But the Devil is in the details...  People (impartial) that
"actually" sit in the court room and listen to the "full story" are usually
pretty satisfied that justice was done.  The "press" likes to blow things
out of proportion to sell wood pulp.  Now with the Internet, we can obtain
such "news" for what it's actual value is...

http://www.lectlaw-dot-com/files/cur78.htm

The IBM/SCO case is another that IBM, at least, is giving the press all the
information they need to know (none)...

T&R was a great supplier of equipment to us and we should be happy that
they supplied transformers for as long as they could.  Vendors come and
go...  IF CP still sold capacitors, they would no longer have much business
from us anyway.  I remember the "panic" when the law changed requiring NSTs
to have built in ground fault protection.  In the end, there was no need to
panic but only laughing ;-))  Apparently, you can run coils with the
protection intact if you don't want to spend the 10 minutes it takes to
defeat it...  And, if you grab the HV circuit the wrong way, that darn
ground fault circuit just might save your life!!

Model rocketry got a shock when the commercial rocket engines were thought
to be impossible to get due to terrorist concerns.  Of course, making
rocket engines yourself is not "rocket science" as many are finding...  The
world was probably better off before...  Now instead of have a few
commercial sources for rocket engines, we had hundreds of amateurs checking
out how they can do it themselves (wildly dangerous but not "hard")...  Of
course, it was all "hype" since you can get engines just the same as you
always could...  Just have to ship them by ground transportation which is
probably a real good idea anyway...

Another face value bit of hilarity was when the FBI wanted to
restrict/trace "agar" used to grow germs in the laboratory...  Any budding
bio-engineer above the age of eight could figure out about 100 substitutes
on the way to the super market.  And they did just to save cost and the
hassle of ordering it anyway...  All it took was a reason to innovate...

So let's not panic just yet...  If we could not get pole pigs tomorrow, we
would probably think of something far far better the day after...  Loosing
a supplier of a part is just fuel for innovation ;-))  I have seen a number
of vendors "stop" supplying something only to return later after changing
their mind.  We simply tell them - Sorry, "you" were designed "out"...  So
far, it seems we have plenty of pole transformers floating
around...  Often, all it takes to get a big transformer is asking around, a
truck, and a few strong friends...

While we may need more than "sticks, a few rocks, and a squirrel" to build
a Tesla coil, we don't "need" transformers from T&R.

Cheers,

         Terry