xfrmr design, was: Re: T&R Electric - No More...

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>

Dr Res,
        two bits of information I have not yet found anywhere is how NSTs are
designed. The ones I've disassembled and measured did not have the core
area, nor number of primary turns, that the rule of thumb for power
transformers indicate. The other missing tidbit is exactly how the area of
the shunts relates to the current limiting. Does this book contain that
info?

Another thing I've wondered about, does it also contain info on designing a
xfrmr for a fixed load, I think the usual core area and primary turns rules
are to account for a no-load situation and avoid over-currenting the primary,
but in a fixed load situation the core and primary could be different (and
with a circuit breaker could be safe?).

-Pete Lawrence.