Re: Pole Transformer Re-Winding for Higher Voltage

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All, Dan,

   That transformer sounds like a real *doozy!* of a plate tranny.  Most
common tubes can withstand the higher voltages without much problem, and
you can drive half a dozen 833's in parallel easily with that
transformer.  Of course, you'll have to find a tank capacitor that can
handle that sort of RF current.  Spacing out sheets of aluminum or copper
and submerging them in oil sounds good to me.  A tad bulky, but it'd be
self-healing and capable of the currents without going 3 Mile Island on you.

Aside from that, I'd find another one and put them in series, with the
center connection grounded for a big, rabid  9600v supply.

Sounds like a good acquisiton!

Shad

At 10:49 PM 8/4/2003, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Bart Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>
>
>Hi Captain,
>
>If it was me, I would look around for another 2 or 3 and put them in series.
>
>Take care,
>Bart
>
>Tesla list wrote:
>
>>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>>
>>I recently acquired a 4800V Pri, 240V Secondary 10kVA Pole Transformer from
>>a friend of mine.  Does anyone have any experience as far to the
>>possibilties of
>>re-winding for higher output voltages.  Concerns would obviously be primary
>>to secondary insulation, and core saturation due to higher voltage swings at
>>60Hz.
>>
>>Thanks
>>The Captain

Shad (Sundog)
G-5 #1373
The Geek Group www.thegeekgroup-dot-org
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"