Re: What is this???

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Paul Kidwell by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tmb-at-ieee-dot-org>
>
>Hi Everybody,
>
>I posted this to the HV list, but seeing that it's looking like a ballast
>and as
>such will probably wind up being used on a coil I thought I'd re-post here
>so a
>wider audience would see it....

I have seen a more "up -to-date" version of this a couple of years ago...

it is a "variable inductor". By hooking the approprieate AC wire to the "L"
terminal ( 1,2,3) and tapping off of the other (1-8) lugs, you change the
inductance of the unit.

You will find that all terminals are connected with minimal change in
resistance between each point ( for a working model) check carefully for
shorts, the insulation on an item that old may have failed. If you test
with a variac, keep the voltage low ( 20-50V) and use a 5- 10A fuse to
protect until you are sure the are insulation is viable.

Scot D