Re: Why does running an NST on an async gap kill it?

Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I was wondering if a safety spark gap (or a string of MOV's)  physically
right across the NST terminals would protect it from over voltage
independent of anything else in the system.  One would need to protect each
bushing with respect to ground (two spark gaps or two strings of MOVs each
from a bushing to ground).  The terry filter caps should also be physically
located right across each bushing to ground (in parallel with the safety
spark gap or MOV's) I'm thinking.  The safety spark gap should be set with
the tank circuit disconnected from the NST and the safety gap set to be just
slightly wider than what it would take to arc the unloaded NST.  Of course
POWER OFF during tweaking.  I don't think the Terry filter alone would
protect the NST and certainly not for any 60 HZ charging resonance effects
if the main spark gap doesn't fire.

What do others think?

Gerry R
Ft Collins, CO