From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, 8 August 2003 11:29 a.m.
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Why does running an NST on an async gap kill it?

Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I was wondering if a safety spark gap (or a string of MOV's)  physically
right across the NST terminals would protect it from over voltage
independent of anything else in the system.  One would need to protect
each bushing with respect to ground (two spark gaps or two strings of
MOVs each from a bushing to ground).  The terry filter caps should also
be physically located right across each bushing to ground (in parallel
with the safety spark gap or MOV's) I'm thinking.  The safety spark gap
should be set with the tank circuit disconnected from the NST and the
safety gap set to be just slightly wider than what it would take to arc
the unloaded NST.  Of course POWER OFF during tweaking.  I don't think
the Terry filter alone would protect the NST and certainly not for any
60 HZ charging resonance effects if the main spark gap doesn't fire.

What do others think?

Gerry R
Ft Collins, CO

  > Hi All,
  >
  > I think I pretty much phrased the entire question in
  > the subject line :)
  >
  > Is there anything one can to to protect the NST from
  > damage? Wouldn't an RLC filter like a Terry filter
  > protect the NST from spikes?
  >
  > Thanks,
  >
  > Chris Lu

sender immediately.