Re: Bad Ideas

Original poster: "robert & june heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

Chris: A steel rod is better than no rod. a septic drain is better than a
clean well, both are good. The best ground I ever had was the abandoned
centeral heating steam pipes of a dead mining town. When I started on TC
coils there was no advice to be found no place to get councel. My first
capacitor was old salvaged window pain with aluminum off-set press sheets as
plates, it worked well. I now use aluminum flashing rolled with 14 layers of
4mill poly in mineral oil. That works better than my bank of series and
parallel 0.25u/ 2KV commercial capacitors as it delivers more current. It is
much larger so I use both, one to give power, and the other is portable with
no oil mess. I have used double sided mill-spec printed circuit board
capacitors with good results as long as the voltage is 10kv or less and you
strip a 1 inch border around the outside of all edges. ( 18" x 40" sheets)
   Ive made different spark gaps. I like 1/4 inck tungsten arc rods, but they
are costly. My work horse spark gap is made of 3" cut pieces of 1/2" copper
pipe mounted inside of a 3" PVC pipe using a hack saw blade as a spacer
gauge. It is mounted vertical to provide good air flow . I use it A- sync
and triggered mode with good results. I adjust the spacing by selecting
which mounting screw I connect my wires to changing how many pieces of pipe
my arc must jump. Each pipe has a large surface area to conduct lots of
current and radiat lots of heat.
    Robert  H