Re: Bad Ideas

Original poster: "tmoorezz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tmoorezz-at-adelphia-dot-net>

Hello Chris,

     Sounds like you TC is doing good for the components your using, 5-6
inches is what gray lau's mini coil with a 4KV 20ma nst prior to
modification to his transformer. Ill  try to help you out with your
questions.

1)Yes you could do this, but it would be best if you made the iner-tube
ridged and or use some thing ridged already like flexible plastic drain
pipe or Al flex ducting, and then rap aluminum tape around it and smooth it
down. I wouldn't use paint because you would have to coat it heavily and it
would probably chip of and or the inner tube would deflate.

2)I am not sure about those caps you probably shouldn't use capacitors with
paper dielectric, but there only 2 bucks so give em a try and anyway you
said you like to see things explode hehehe. you should probably go for a MMC
(Multi Mini Capacitor) or a Maxwell's Pulse cap you can get these on ebay or
other sites on the net.

3) The larger the capacitor the longer it takes to charge so if you have a
0.01uf capacitor and then make it 0.02uf it would take twice aslong to
charge, also the energy being discharged in to the primary coil would
quadruple which may or may not be a good thing, it could possibly cause
racing
sparks on your secondary coil, but will also increase spark length. Also if
you change your capacitor you will need to retap your primary coil to
achieve
proper tune aka max spark length. as for your safety gaps the size of
capacitor wont make a difference in how much it fires but if you double the
size of you capacitor the bang from your safety gap will be significantly
louder.
What you need you do for your safety gap is disconnect all tank wiring then
just have the safety gap hook to the HV of the nst, set the gap so its
small.
Next power it up and you should see it fire, discontinue power then andjust
so its slightly larger. Then fire it up again, repeat till it barley fires,
and then adjust it slightly largerso it dose not fire, hook all wires up
again
and when you fire up your TC the next time it shouldn't fire asmuch and if
it
dose adjust it slightly larger. But if you need to adjust it again there
could
be problems with your TC that need to be fixed.

4) ok now on to grounding.  For the best grounding I would recommend a
single pole 1/2" diameter and up around 6 feet inlength and just hammer that
in to the soil. You may also use multiple shorter pipes say five 1.5 foot
long pieces connected together. also take into account that some materials
oxidize and that will increases resistance in your grounding quiet
considerably. its also best to keep the grounding reasonably close to the TC
so a 100' down in to the well is out of the
question, id say keep it with in 15 feet of the base of your TC and connect
it to your TC using thick gage wire or a strip of cooper.

Hope this helps!

Nolan Moore