Re: Really big MOT power supplies

Original poster: "Chris Arnold by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris_arnold-at-msn-dot-com>

Chris,

Good luck, as this is sure to be a bit of a challenge.  I wanted to say two
things about this tho: 1) Be very very careful w/ your MOTs.  I don't know
if you've checked out just what a single MOT can do, but if you want to
seriously educate yourself about how dangerous they are just hook one up to
a good 20 amp or larger outlet (preferably w/ a circuit breaker 'cause it's
most certainly going to blow eventually) and get the output away from the
transformer to escape the magnetic flux from the shunts, and using a long
insulated handle (several feet of PVC) draw an arc from it.  I guarantee
you will be impressed by the size and wicked appearance of the arc.  2) For
this reason, I woud strongly recommend that you not even consider using
switching for the secondaries on the ballast transformers.  Those
secondaries will most certainly have extremely hazardous voltage present at
them as well.  If you still want to have that option, I think you could
probably make a jumper wire with a female spade terminal on the end
inserted under the grounded side of the balast MOT secondary and use that
to short the supply.

Good luck and be safe,

Chris Arnold