RE: New Pix (caps across gaps, gaps across caps)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Weazle:

I notice that you have a couple of doorknob caps across your hyperbaric
gap.  From the perspective of these doorknobs, with every bang of the gap,
the full charge in the doorknobs is being directly shorted.  While this may
shunt some HV/HF noise generated by the gap, it's not at all healthy for
the doorknobs, which are not known for their ability to handle high
discharge currents.  If the goal is to protect the power transformer, then
putting some HV resistors (i.e. an R-C filter) between the gap and
doorknobs would make the caps much happier!

But to switch sides and play the devil's advocate for a moment, I wonder if
there is any benefit as far as improving quenching or reducing gap
on-resistance, afforded by having a cap in parallel with the main gap?

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

My buddy with the digital camera finally got a shot of the new coil,
its temporary MOT power supply, and the TC controller rack.  We have
a lot of tuning and tweaking to do on Big Arnold yet, but right out
of the blocks he produced 40 inch streamers.  Check it out at my
web site listed below.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle