Re: ARSG/cap/gap help

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

My portable demo coil uses almost the same equipment.

1.5kVA 14.4kV Potential Transformer
ARSG Propellar Gap
0.0257uF Capacitor

The following link describes every detail of my coil.  It currently runs at
about 3 to 3.5kW input power with 6-8 foot streamers.
http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/teslacoil7.htm

The next link below describes my ARSG propellar gap, which is based on Terry
Blake's ARSG.
http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/teslacoil9.htm

If you are using the 14.4kV, 1.5kVA PT, then the 500ft roll of 12 AWG works
perfectly as a ballast and limits input power to about 3 to 3.5kW which the
potential transformer
can easily do for short durations.  I run the ballast for up to 15 minutes
at a time with no problems.  Although, I typically allow everything to cool
a bit when running continous like
that at 3 to 3.5kW.

As for capacitor size.  For this set-up, 0.01uF to 0.03uF works the best.
You'll vary the ARSG to get maximum spark length.  I wouldn't recommend
going above 0.03uF for this
set-up.  Also, be sure to be aware of your ARSG speed.  When using a variac
to control ARSG speed and a variac to control input voltage to the
transformer, you sometimes might
get confused with everything that is going on and accidently turn the ARSG
speed down when you really want to decrease the transformer voltage.  This
can be very bad for the
capacitors etc...

Hope this helps.

The Captain