Re: Tried again tonight, still have problem

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 11/30/03 8:51:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi all,
>My secondary doesn't appear to have any additional marks inside it. The
>toroid is 27.5'' from outer edge to edge and 8'' diameter aluminum duct
>covered in al. tape. The problem is that all of its output is directed
>donwards. I have raised the secondary quite a bit. The toroid too.The system
>uses 2 15k-at-70ma NSTs ,320 nF primary cap and a sucker gap set at .25 ".
>Secondary is 6.32''. I don't see any visibly sharp objects on the bottom of
>the toroid, but will look at that closely. Still looking for clues. Didn't
>come up with anything exactly like this on pupman search. I suppose /hope
>its something dumb/simple. Still looking for ideas!
>Many thanks,
>Robert Hanford

Robert,

If the secondary is not damaged, spark gaps are working properly and the
coil is in tune - you may need to go with a two toroid system like I
use.  A smaller toroid is mounted on the secondary to prevent sparks from
breaking out from the top windings and a larger toroid is mounted up above
that.  The majority of the sparks will breakout from the larger top
toroid.  You can see this system at my web site:
http://members.aol-dot-com/esondrmn/index.html

Are you using a flat primary as opposed to an inclined or saucer shaped
primary?  The flat primary allows you to get the strike ring down as far
from the toroid as possible.

Ed Sonderman