From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 3:57 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: 5MV pressurised oil immersed bipolar tesla coil by Breit
1930

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi John,

On 28 Nov 2003, at 18:45, Tesla list wrote:

  > Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
  >

  > Malcolm -
  >
  > The description of this Tesla coil circuit states that the operating
  > voltage is 750 KV and the resonant frequency is 130 Kc/S. I believe
  > this means that V2 = 750 KV and that C2, G, amd I are operating in
  > parallel at 750 KV. For capacitor (C2) to be 750 KV would indicate
  > that it must represent the self capacity of the coil (L2). The Gap
  > (G)is a typical sphere type voltage measuring gap and the device
  > labeled (I) could be a receptacle for the object to be tested such as
  > an insulator, etc. The total capacitance of C2, G, and I in parallel
  > with the inductance L2 would form a tank circuit. The resonant
  > operating frequency of this tank circuit would be 130 Kc/s. Given the
  > inductance of L2 you could easily calculate the the total capacitance
  > of the secondary system.
  >
  > The output voltage V2 could be easily varied by varying the voltage of
  > the primary circuit. I do not understand why a voltage divider would
  > be needed. Could you give more information on this feature?

To minimize loading on the secondary which would otherwise seriously
affect the measurement. Also, one cannot bring hundreds of kV to a
small rod connecting anything inside the tank to the outside world
without encountering serious flashover problems, if not inside the
tank then outside it. As I understand the setup, the measuring gap is
measuring just a portion of the full potential the coil terminal/s
reach.

Malcolm