Re: coil at school?

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I ran a 6" TC at about 1.8kVA (120V, measured 15-16A, using three 15/30
NSTs) in my old physics lecture hall many times.  In some pictures I had
friends take a small spark is very evident between the two aluminum
chalkboard trays (about a .10" gap) which was about 4 inches above a 10/100
ethernet port.  The TC was about 8 feet from the wall/chalkboard and had
50" discharges.  I never heard of any problems....

I also ran the TC in one of the general physics labs that featured PCs
along each wall the length of the room.  The TC was about 8 feet from
either rows of monitors.  The PCs were all unplugged.  Only heard of one
monitor failing, but I honestly don't know if it happened because of me or
simply because the monitors were 10+ years old.

YMMV.  Use good filters, unplug equipment, and operate as far away from
equipment as possible.  Water pipes make for acceptable grounds in
buildings IMO.

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group