Water absorption of secondary coil forms

Original poster: "Rothman, Aric" <Aric.Rothman-at-Honeywell-dot-com>

I recently made a secondary using a 3" OD phenolic impregnated cardboard
tube.  At first, I planned to not bake the tube
to dehydrate it, expecting the phenolic impregnation would prevent
significant absorption of moisture.  In the end, I'm
glad I did.  I weighed the 3"x20" tube prior to baking and after (140 def F
for 10 hours).  The tube shed 10g of mass
during the baking process.  It was then immediately hosed down with aerosol
insulating varnish (probably a type of
lacquer, actually).

The spray used is a common type used to impregnate motor windings.  I think
its use was the source of my next problem.
I applied a coat of "short oil" (high resin content) varnish over the cured
lacquer, leaving it to cure on my motorized
winding jig.  Eight hours later, the varnish had buckled in a very ugly
fashion (orange peel doesn't begin to describe
it).  I suspect the application of the varnish over the lacquer was the
reason for this failure.  I will uses shellac to
pot future windings before applying coats of varnish.  Varnish over shellac
is a common woodworking finish combo.

I bake the varnished coil to accelerate the cure, sanded, and applied
Pour-On epoxy finish, thereby making the coil
semi-respectable.

Aric