Coil blueprint

Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hello All,

I'm finalizing my design for my new coil system, and want to share the
parameters with all, and hopefully obtain some input in the process:
Transformers:  Two paralleled 12/120 NSTs for a total of 12kv at 240ma.  I
don't plan to ramp up the input voltage beyond 120 volts
Secondary:  Eight inch PVC with 36" of  #24 heavy build.
Primary:  14 turns of 1/4 inch copper tubing.
Topload:  Homebrew 8x36 toroid placed 4" above final winding.
Gap:  Forced air tungsten, adjustable from 1 to 10 individual series gaps.
Cap:  .134 LTR MMC
The questions I have are these, and I did try to do all of my research prior
to eliminate a rehash of the same material:
1)  I was planning to start with the sec. elevated 2" above primary, and
adjust from there.  Should I design for an equal pri. and sec. height, and
adjust up?  It's a pain to try and cut off excess PVC after the sec. is
done, but easy to shim up if one places the start of the windings close to
the end of the form.
2)  Inner primary turn 2" from secondary.  O.D. about 23", as I'd like to
keep the assembly around two foot square.
3)  Judging from what other's are running, it would seem that this toroid
dimension would suit the input power well.  Should I go a little smaller?
4)  I would like two place the transformers, PFC caps, and 30 amp Corcom on
the first tier of my plywood cart, and place the gap, cap bank, safety
filter on the second level, with the coil it self on the third and top
level.  Try to keep that big mass of transformer iron about 15-20 inches
away from the primary.  Is this really necessary, or am I being paranoid?  I
remember a thread a while back on this, but don't recall any definitive
answers.
5)  I'm thinking about total gap spacing being no more than .375.  I would
prefer a slight loss of spark length to ensure NST survival.  Sound like a
good starting point?

Improvements, flames, and ideas in general appreciated.

Thanks,
John Richardson