Re: Magnifier vs. Pi Network Tesla Coil - ***What are advantages***

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > CLASSIC TESLA MAGNIFIER
 > This is the classic tesla magnifier.  A tank circuit drives a solenoid
 > type primary coil tightly coupled to a secondary coil.
 > The output of this secondary coil is then directly coupled via
 > transmission line to the bottom of a third resonator coil.

Ignoring the capacitance from the "transmission line" to ground,
this is exactly equivalent to a Tesla coil.

 > CLASSIC PI-NETWORK
 > This system has no magnetic coupling.  You have a classic tesla primary
 > tank circuit, and a directly coupled line from
 > the primary tank circuit to the bottom of a secondary resonator coil.

A transformerless Tesla coil. Equivalent to a Tesla coil too, but
the voltage gain is tied to the number of cycles required for complete
energy transfer. With a transformer in the circuit you have an
extra degree of freedom that allows designs with any relation between
gain and number of cycles for complete energy transfer.
See:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/mres4.html
See also the mrn4 program at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs.

 > As I stated before, I'm trying to find out what advantages if any either
 > one of these have in respect to the other.  At
 > least in simulations, I can get equal performance in both.  However, in
 > practicality, there may be some things i'm
 > missing.

The directly coupled system is easier to design and build, but when
you try to obtain significant voltage gain the limitation becomes
apparent.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz