Re: Water absorbtion of Gray PVC

Original poster: "Crow Leader" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 7:06 PM
Subject: RE: Water absorbtion of Gray PVC

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >

 > Jeff,
 >
 > You said it all!  "So far the pros say sand, heat, coast and the
 > hobbyists say not to..."  Exactly said.  Professional built and hobbyist
 > built tesla coils have completely different requirements they need to be
 > built to.  As a professional, you need to build a tesla coil with repeat
 > performance, high reliability, and low-cost maintainability.  As a
 > hobbyist, this isn't much of a concern. Build a coil, fire it up.  So

Is that so? People seem mighty upset when their capacitors fail and they
blow out their neon sign transformers.Why is the secondary exempt? A bit of
labor goes into making even a trashy secondary coil. I'd rather my coils not
burst into flames (though it is sort of amusing). My oldest PVC secondary
just turned 10 years old this November. If I had known about sealing the
inside, I might have done just that. The fad at the time was to just plug
the top and bottom with plastic discs. I don't like the idea of trapping
whatever gasses air ends up as when in a HV field inside a tube so I never
did that.

 > once in a blue moon the secondary may breakdown due to hydroscopic
 > effects.  Big deal.  Build another one.  However, as a professional, a

Once in a blue moon? How long have you been coiling again?

[cut]

KEN