Re: Water absorbtion of Gray PVC

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I must say that I completely agree with Dr. R.  However, I don't think it's
a necessity for many hobyists, particularly newbies.  I can also say that I
have wound secondaries on both coated (standard gloss varnish) and uncoated
PVC forms of different diameters and found that the coated forms were
easier to find on.  I found that coated forms helped anchor the wire in
place moreso than uncoated forms.  I have two uncoated PVC secondaries
started to unwind or have the windings slip if they sat around the shop for
very long (prior to coating with epoxy/varnish/whatever).  The coated
secondaries did not have this problem despite a looser wind with thicker wire.

I guess I don't see waht the problem is - it certainly can't HURT the
performance or lifetime by drying and coating a form.  Small forms are easy
to dry - use the oven on "warm" for a couple hours, then remove and
immediately spray/brush with varnish, epoxy, glyptal, or whatever your
coating of choice is.

IMO, coating the interior of the form is only for sealing purposes and
really doesn't require sanding.

<offtopic>One of my brother's ex-girlfriends drove a car that had
experienced a similar treatment to the Mustang - the g/f's father would
just dump a fresh quart of oil in the engine every 1000 miles and let the
engine burn off the extra....  My brother, a big car guy, just couldn't
talk sense into her father - he "knew better."

Cheers

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group