Re: TC Operation Question

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Emmett,

I strongly suggest that you NOT operate the coil again
without an RF ground. Running without the ground can
cause unpredictable and possibly destructive
consequences. Radio Shack sells a 4-foot copper plated
steel ground rod for under $10. Go buy one and install
it before applying power to your coil again. Use 12AWG
stranded (or thicker) copper wire to attach your
secondary to the ground rod. Make sure you have a
sturdy mechanical and electrical connection between
the secondary and the ground rod.

To answer your question, the ground is an essential
part of the coil system, every bit as important as the
primary, secondary, or any other major component.

Regards,

Greg

 > Original poster: "EMMETT SECREST"
 > <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>
 >
 > I am new to TC's so I have a lot to learn. I would
 > like to know what
 > relationship the RF ground has to the operation of
 > the TC. I know it is to
 > direct RF to ground but what I was wondering was
 > what effect it has on the
 > operation of the coil if it is not present at all. I
 > am still waiting on my
 > MMC's from The Geek Group and in the mean time I
 > built a saltwater bucket
 > cap. I hooked it up and tried out my coil without an
 > RF ground (it was
 > raining and I was impatient). It would make the
 > florescent lights glow but
 > would not generate any arcs.  I don't know if it is
 > a coupling issue, a
 > tuning issue or the lack of an RF ground.

 > Emmett

=====
Gregory R. Hunter

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg