Re: Breakdown voltages of toroids

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-twfpowerelectronics-dot-com>
 >
 > I have noted that negative charges arc or things easier than positive
 > charges.  Does this stuff take that into account?

I imagine that negative arcs propagate easier than positive arcs. See
lightning for example, that is almost always a negative arc.
The actual surface electric fields where the arcs start are very
similar.
A paper that I have here mentions a difference of 3 or 4%.

Something more mysterious happens when the two balls are different.
In a capacitor discharge spark, a positive small ball results in long
arcs. A negative small ball results in just corona.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz