From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, 15 December 2003 6:58 a.m.
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Electrum & Advanced Lightning Facility

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Steve, J, All,

Electrum is still in NZ, and is still operational AFAIK.  There are
still
no public showings; however the NZ maintenance crew responsible for
Electrum does test-run it once a month.  I've wanted some reason to go
back
to visit the machine, but the crew there consists of engineers and
master
mechanics that have things well in hand.  I occasionally supply them
with
replacement tungsten electrode inserts, and that's about it for
me.  Pictures from the NZ site show that the sun and the salty air are
starting to bleach the sides of the tower [which is 6 yrs old now], but
the
dielectric strength of the exterior surface is still nominal.  The tower

exterior is hosed down and measured before each power test.

Regarding the ALF, I'm just now starting to come across serious leads
for
funding.  The fundamental ALF design has been in quite a state of flux,
due
to the ever-improving solid-state HV devices emerging over the last few
years.  However, the basic machine design has settled down enough to
come
up with credible work and cost breakdown structures, using 6.3kV silicon
in
the primary at 6MW total site power.  There are tentative plans in
February
to meet with some folks in Nevada who have a stellar track record, and
have
direct access to suitable funding sources.

At present, I'm trying to get a 1:12 scale prototype of the ALF up and
running.  This prototype will use solid-state primary drives as well.
The
goal is 20'+ arcs, using 4.5kV silicon in the primary, with a 5kW HF
cap-charger for each tower instead of a DC resonant charging scheme.
Being
1:12 scale, each prototype tower will measure about 120in high overall,
and
25in in diameter.  I'll post some pics when [and if] I get it running.