Re: New SSTC and topology in need of review

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Well Jimmy, im not entirely sure what i am going to gain, but i at least
*think* it should be worthwhile.  Dan McCauley mentioned that his MOT SSTC
(when working quite a while ago now) produced extremely long sparks.  Also,
Dr. Gary Johnson has a large SSTC running 1700VDC into a half-bridge.. his
coil makes some 54" sparks if i remember, though it IS powered from a PT.

Basically, my thought is that magnetizing current could be reduced a bit,
and i can more easily get an impedance match that would give lots of power
throughput without half of the current going to Imag.  With my 170V SSTCs
ive gotten down to 5 turn primaries that are some 8" tall.  Very tight
coupling and very few turns.  But, each turn taken off makes the current
input skyrocket but does very little to increase spark length.  It just
SEEMS that you need higher voltages.  As to how high, i dont know, but
1400V seemed like a *fun* place to begin.

I must also note how my half-bridge flyback driver reacts with low
voltage/high current (few primary turns) power supplies and high
voltage/low current (many primary turns).  At low voltages the flyback has
several resonant frequencies and makes decent sparks (with some
heating).  But, at 120V input, i get disasterously long sparks but only 1
Fres, and with no heating of components at all.  I know we are talking
about 2 completely different things here, but i dont see why this concept
would not hold up with SSTCs.

Steve Ward