First Light but I have a Problem

Original poster: "Emmett Secrest" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" />
Thanks to all who have helped me get to this point with my first TC.  I
have built and installed the MMC's and the performance is much better than
it was with the saltwater bucket cap. With a nail for a breakout point I
get about three foot streamers or arcs( whichever is the correct
terminology). My problem is that when I remove the nail form the surface of
the Toroid I get some arcing from the top of the secondary column.  I have
a PVC adapter on the top of the secondary that reduces it from 4" to 2"
with a piece of 2" PVC elevating the toroid about 4" above the windings on
the secondary.  The toroid is 4" dryer duct with a plywood center and the
entire toroid is covered with aluminum tape. The toroid is mounted to the
PVC with a Nylon bolt through the toroid center and through a threaded PVC
plug on the 2" PVC riser. The sparks that I am getting seem to be coming
from underneath the edge of the 4" reducer.  I have not run the TC for any
length of time without a nail for a breakout point as I am afraid I will
damage the secondary. I am not getting any arcing down the secondary
windings and there doesn't appear to be any damage to any of the top turns
of wire.  I don't know if this is a normal occurrence or not since this is
my first experience. I would appreciate any insight those on the list could
give as to the cause or possible solutions to this problem.  I would like
to add a second 12/60 NST and up my power to 1.44 KVA but do not want to do
so until I have all the bugs worked out. I apoligize for such a long
posting but needed to hopefully explain clearly my problem.

Emmett