RE: First Light but I have a Problem

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 11:43 AM 17/12/03 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "EMMETT SECREST" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>
 >
 >I lowered the Toroid an inch, but still had the problem of arcing around
 >the top winding of the secondary.  The bottom of the toroid is now about
 >six inches above the top winding of the secondary.

<SNIP>

Emmett,

You are still too high with the toroid.  The rule of thumb that I have
used with success is to have the bottom of the toroid about even with
the top-most turn of the secondary.  Another thing that will help is
to spiral the last few turns with an ever increasing pitch to the end
of the form.  The centre disk of the toroid then rests on the top of
the secondary form and is the point of attachment for the wire.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle