RE: First Light but I have a Problem

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

 > Original poster: "EMMETT SECREST" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>
 >
 > I lowered the Toroid an inch but still had the problem of
 > arcing around the
 > top winding of the secondary. The bottom of the Toroid is now
 > about six
 > inches above the top winding of the secondary.  What is the
 > general hieght
 > of the bottom edge of the Toroid above the top widing of the
 > secondary?
 > Also is a 23" major diameter by 4" Toroid to large for a
 > 12KV/60mA coil?
 > The reason I ask is I was thinking that maybe the Toroid is
 > so large that I
 > cant provide sufficient breakout voltage to the toroid and
 > the available
 > power has to go somewhere so it breaks out from the top of
 > the secondary.
 >
 > Thanks for your help.

It's still too high.

Try making the bottom of the toroid only an inch or so away from the top of
the secondary.

That should stop the breakout from the coil.

Also your toroid may be a bit big for a 720kVA NST, which is why you need
the breakout bump.

Have a go with the smaller one (don't forget to re-tune).

Regards,

Tom L.