RE: First Light but I have a Problem

Original poster: "EMMETT SECREST" <secrest2032-at-msn-dot-com>

I thought I had solved this problem with a smaller toroid but last night I
discovered I was wrong. I was still getting corona build up and some arcing
at the top of the secondary and off the PVC fitting mounted on top of the
secondary form. At one point I was get large streamers right off the side
of the PVC fitting. I removed the fitting and replaced it with a wooden
(oak) plug in the top of the sec. form. I no longer had any corona build up
or arcing. It dawned on me that in my haste to get my coil built.  I had
not dried or coated the fitting with varnish.  I believe the cause of the
problem may be water absorption by the fitting. Does anyone concur with
this?  If not what other ideas do you have.  To put it better, the PVC
fitting was acting like the toroid and the toroid was doing nothing. On the
good side I was getting some really nice streamers off the coupling.

Emmett