Re: Small coil questions?

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

There are lots of things which must be considered when tuning a tesla coil.

1.  Is the spark gap set properly.

2.  Is the capacitor sized properly for your transformer

3.  Is your toroid large enough?  (Smaller toroids have lower break-out
voltages, so the sparks will be smaller)

We are not bragging.  In real life, we are actually getting 14 inch arcs and
using somewhat small transformers as well.
Both myself (Dan McCauley), Gary Laus, and Steve Ward have built mini-coils
using the same transformer (A Franceformer 4020SE)
which is rated at 4kV -at- 38mA.

Gary Laus is getting about 14 inch arcs maximum.

Dan McCauley (myself) is getting about 14 inch arcs maximum now with larger
toroid

Steve Ward at last i heard was getting at least 13 inch arcs from the mini
coil.

With 67mA output at 4.7kV, i think you would be able to get at least 40cm
arcs (16 inches).  50cm (19 inches) will prove a bit more
challenging, but i think if everything is working properly and in very good
tune, you might get close to it.

Do you have specs and pictures of your coil?  That may help us to better
understand what kind of problems you are having.

Dan