Re: Spheres on toroids

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

 > Is that e-field plotting software freely available?

The Inca program is at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs
I have updated the documentation about electrostatic calculations too,
if you want to take a look at how the program does the calculations.

 > Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>
 >
 > Perhaps it would be better to place the toroid on top of the sphere?  How
 > would the secondary affect the field distribution?  Is inca able to
 > simulate that?

For awhile, you can place one or more cylinders below the terminal,
with specified voltages. A problem with this is that the loose ends
of the cylinders will exhibit infinite electric field, and the
program will set the maximum field in the plot to a too high value.
But the maximum value can be changed, and a good plot can be
generated after some experimentation.

 > Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>
 >
 > Found it.
 >
 > It is an exceptional program, after fiddling with the default parameters for
 > 5 minutes I could plot any shape I wanted. Well done Antonio - very
 > intuitive.

Thank you.

 > After drawing all sorts of shapes, made of toroids cones and spheres, I've
 > come to the conclusion that the toroid is best. It shields below and is most
 > likely to break out on the side. I'm still experimenting though, it's going
 > to take a bit of calculation to draw the phi toroid/sphere thing someone
 > posted earlier.

I tried that terminal. It can be generated with three circular curves.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz