Re: Dead 833s? (was:RE: new single 833A VTTC)

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi David,

This is very interesting to me, comments within:

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Dead 833s? (was:RE: new single 833A VTTC)
>Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:17:27 -0700
>
>Original poster: humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com
>
>Steve, yes I have killed several. Only thing is, they
>were all used and of unknown condition (e-bay).

Okay, that is understandable.  My tubes are also used but i got them from
John, though i dont know if he was the original owner of them.

I did
>kill several 833C's also, again unknown condition.

That is surprising to me!  How did the 833C fail? Filaments giving out?

One
>833A was entirely my fault, overvoltaged and it arced
>internally producing a nice mirroring on the inside of
>the tube, quite pretty, really.

Haha, well, as long as it looks nice after it fails ;D

Most deaths have been
>filament failure,

In what manner?  They simple break from vibration? Or do they fail from
electrica stresses?  This is the type of failure i am MOST paranoid of.

but have seen the purple glow from
>hell (vacuum somewhat compromised).

Ah, i havent had any leaky tubes yet.

Also I had two
>833A's with only one functioning filament each I was
>able to get up to 25" sparks before they died. The
>warnings of used tubes ;-P

Wow, haha, thats pretty good really, were you pushing them excessively hard
because they were already half-dead?

>The tubes I have that are new (NOS) have yet to fail me.

This is reassuring, but do you push them as hard as the used ones?

>I have a tube that the plate got to hot and melted a
>hole in it (you can see the grid/filaments) still works
>fine as long as I don't stress it to much.

I also worry about this.  Just how red was the plate when this happened?

BTW, the one
>that arced internally was at well over 6000V.

Well, i dont think im pushing much beyond 5kv if even that much, so thats
also good to hear.

Steve