Re: new single 833A VTTC

Original poster: David Sharpe <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > In a message dated 12/25/03 11:03:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >
 > >The perception of red plates is misleading. When a metal plate glows the
 > >power is not at max levels, When a grey graphite plate starts to glow you
 > >are at about twice the  rated power level. I have run graphite plate tubes
 > >way beyond rated levels with special oil cooling to prevent the glass from
 > >melting well beyond the distruction point of metal plate tubes. So the rule
 > >of leting 833a metal plate tubes glow is correct because when a graphite
 > >plate reaches the glow point you are well beyond melt dowm power.
 > >    Robert   H

.Robert

I've used 572-B (811A on steroids, graphite plate, 3kV) triodes in a P-P
VTTC with level shift input voltages (peak measured) of ~6.8kV with
Pin of ~2.2kW.  Yes they glowed red but worked ok.  In fact, if you
reference the Svetlana website (www.svetlana-dot-com), they recommend
running graphite tubes with graphite plates a dull red to help getter the
tube at full power.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA