RE: grounding

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

It's impossible to give an accurate answer unless you tell us some
specifics, in particular the details of the power supply NST.  How many
VA or Watts is it rated?  A high powered unit should have a dedicated RF
ground connected to its case, and the 3rd wire AC ground would not be
used at all.  If you have a low powered unit, it's OK to use the AC
ground for the RF ground.

If the NST has its secondary mid-point grounded, neither side of the
Tesla coil primary may be grounded.  If the NST has one side of the
secondary tied to the core, then one side of the Tesla coil primary may
also be grounded, as I have done on my mini coil (see
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/minicoil.htm).

I couldn't comment on the wisdom of your plans without seeing the
schematic.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: Bob81818-at-aol-dot-com

I bought plans, and it says to connect everything, both primary and
secondary circuits, to the same ground lug. And just now I looked up
schematics from some random site, and it says to have two grounds, as
well
as telling specifically not to have a uniform ground. Whats right here?
or
are they both right? I understand some people have different ways they
build their coil, but it seems like this is kinda something important.
Thanks in advance for clearing this subject up.