RE: So, does ozone have an odor or not?

Original poster: "Ian McLean" <ianmm-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

Hi Jim,

 > Nitrous Oxide (N2O) is the racing oxidizer and anesthetic, and yes, it
 > certainly is odorless and sort of non-toxic. (Although one
 > could argue that
 > anything that makes you unconscious is toxic)
 >
 > Nitric Oxide (NO) is yet another form - this is the form
 > that's in heart
 > medicine (Nitroglycerin, e.g.)
 > Nitrogen dioxide NO2 (and a very similar form Nitrogen
 > tetroxide N2O4) are
 > the characteristic brownish red, pungent odor stuff you get
 > from Nitric acid
 > (HNO3)

Your chemistry is good too, and you have highlighted another mistake from
me.  That's two.  Doh.  N20 is certainly the nitrous oxide anaesthetic gas,
not NO as I stated, and this oxide, amongst the others such as NO, nitric
oxide (thanks for the correction here), is likely only to be formed in very
small quantities in the heat of a plasma arc.  I guess it is a good thing I
became a computer programmer and not a chemist ;)

A coils arc's gaseous output is likely to make you very sick before it ever
makes you high.  NO2 is the most stable and abundantly formed oxide of
nitrogen, and is produced in reasonable quantities along with the equally
noxious ozone, especially if a continuous arc is allowed to burn in a
confined space.  Yes, NO2 is the brown gas you see in these circumstances.

Enough said by me on this I think.

Rgs
Ian