Re: Calculating the drain I - SSTC

Original poster: biomed-at-miseri.winnipeg.mb.ca

Sue,

You may have blown the 4420 chip by lowering the frequency of the drive
source.  As you lower the frequency, the toriod gate transformer will look
like a short circuit.  I'm not certain that you went low enough on
frequency to do this but it is a theory.

I'm working on Dan MCcualey's plasmasonic board and also have blown my 4420
chips too,  still don't know why yet??  but I'm working on it.  One thing I
found was that I was getting a hugh amount of ringing on my gate
transformer secondaries.  So much so that  the ringing would trigger the
power mosfets.... not good!   So I made some snubber circuits to but across
them.  I was running about 200 Khz also, and my ringing frequency was about
13 Mhz.  After some calculations and experimenting, I used 51 ohm 1/4 watt
resistor in series with a 1nF capacitor and it worked great!  I thought I'd
share this with the group in case anyone else was experiencing the same
problem.  I guess I could try more or less turns on the gate transfomer too
to cure it?

Good luck with your design.

Shaun Epp

 >Subject: Re: Calculating the drain I - SSTC

 >Original poster: "S.Gaeta" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

 >Hi Terry,

 >Thanks again for the calculations. I am building the circuit on vector
 >board, and last night I thought it was rediculous that I used 16 AWG
 >stranded wire to go from the H bridge to my terminal block which will
 >connect to the 10 AWG primary (it's about a 3" run). I was going to double
 >up on the wire, but I guess with 4 amps, it's not really going to be a
 >problem the way it is.

 >A kind of bizzare thing happened this afternoon. I built the 4420/4429
part
 >of the driver, and tested it out by feeding a 200 KHz, 5V square wave from
 >function generator into it. I was very pleased to see that I phased all
the
 >driver transformer windings correctly, and the MOSFETs will switch when
they
 >are supposed to. There was no voltage applied to the drains of the
MOSFETs.