RE: A rotary-gap configuration + tungsten-carbide

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Ken:

Since electrode B is rotating, it's unclear how electrical contact is
made to it.  Losses would probably be lower in an RSG which has only a
single gap, as compared with conventional designs which have an even
number of gaps in series.  But the problem of keeping the presumably
brush-like means of connection from eroding looks troubling.

I think that one typically strives for the lowest practical dwell time,
with no benefit to higher durations.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

I'll ask Terry to post http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/electrod.pdf,
illustrating a notion I've had for a rotary-gap configuration.  Perhaps
it's old-hat but having been a s.s.-only person, I wouldn't know.  I'll
appreciate comments.

As to the electrodes themselves, a possible source for tungsten carbide
ones might be "bur blanks" from Towanda Metadyne
(www.towandametadyne-dot-com).  Those are 94% WC and 6% Co and they stock
both cylindrical and radius-ended ones in various diameters--apparently
from around 1/4" to 3/4" and 1" in length.  Their sales manager, Duane
Saxton (dsaxton-at-stny.rr-dot-com), advised me in June that they would sell
"low volumes for testing" but I didn't order any at the time.  They're
inexpensive--$0.75-$4.50 or so apiece.  Any comments on that?

Ken Herrick