RE: SSTC on Ebay and TOROIDS

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,

(snip from Dan)
 > Not really.  Typically with SSTC's you always have to use a break-
 > out point with the toroid.

I agree, but like you said it's a typical thing. But try this: use a
very smooth toroid *without* a breakout point, run your variac up to
where you think it may kill something...hehe...and start an arc on
the top.

With luck, and over a few hundred watts of input power or so, you
will find that the arc itself will act as a breakout point and it
will sustain itself from there...even with 1/2 wave rectified DC
input! It's pretty darn cool. There used to be pictures on my
website, not sure if we took them off or not. Anyhow, this effect may
show that air temperature is a big factor in the way the output
looks.

BTW I dropped the starting price to $375.00.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com