rotor speeds, kevlar, etc

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>

 >From the point of view of my other hobby (home built model turbine engines,
check out www.gtba.cnuce.cnr.it if you are curious) all this concern about
spinning rotors and kevlar shields seems blown way out of proportion.

rule of thumb for spinning rotors: aluminum can take 400 m/s rim speed,
and I'm guessing epoxy glass is at least as strong, so

400 m/s ~> 1200 ft/s ~> 14400 inch/sec

PI * 12" diam * 60 RPS ~> 2200 inch/sec,  way way way below the limit.

and most RSGs are not even 12" diam.

-Pete Lawrence.