Re: J Ladder

Original poster: "CTC by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <corytesla-at-hotmail-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: J Ladder

 > Original poster: "Jonathon Reinhart by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <TC_Jonathon-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

You need a ballast.  You shouldn't be operating these things period without
a little more knowledge of the things in the first place.
Just a simple search on the pupman archive would have yielded the necessity
for a ballast as running without one could have been very dangerous (fire
hazard).  Luckily,
your circuit breaker is doing its job!

The Captain

 > You are blowing the breaker because the MOTs are not current limited. You
 > need a third mot to ballast the other two, and limit the current it draws.
 >
 > Short cirucuit the secondary of the 3rd MOT, and hook its primary in
series
 > with the other two's.... like this:
 >                            3rd MOT
 >        -------------)||(-------|
 > 120                   )||(           |
 >        --|            |- )||(-------|
 >           |            |
 >           |            |
 >           |            ----------------------)||(----------------------O
 >           |                                             )||(   MOT 1
 >           |                                  |------ )||(----|
 >           |                                  |                    |
 >           |                                  |-------)||(----|
 >           |                                             )||(   MOT 2
 >           |------------------------------)||(-----------------------O
 >

 > It helps to make a special outlet box with two outlets wired in series,
but
 > make sure you label it or it can be dangerous!
 >
 > Jonathon

Thanks Jonathon I think I saw a modified version of this
on Greg's site

Also to "THE CAPTAIN"
I said it sounded stupid, But of course I know my circuit
breaker is doing its job
And I knew I should of used Oil burner xfmrs
because MOT's are not current limited
like NST's
but I just wanted to see what would happen
and yes I know it could have caused a fire
that's why I had a good old ABC Beside me
and I was running on a metal conduit going from
my breaker box to my MOT's About 3ft and I have
my breaker on a quick disconnect hooked to
a another meter >not the one supplying the house mains current
Next time I will check pupmans archive's

Sorry this sounds sort of angry it just came of that way
I always work Safety first! (although it may not appear in my text)

Thanks,
C Capps