Re: First light - or rather disappointing performance

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>

Chris,
       I've built LOTS of "small" TCs, all on 3 and 3.5 inch (76 and 90 mm)
coil forms, with many different sizes of wire and hence number of turns,
and started with a 6kv-30ma NST also.

I never got more than 6 to 8 inch sparks from a 6-30 NST,
10 to 12 inch from a 7.5-30 NST
and 14 to 16 inch from a 9kv-30ma NST.

Small TCs just don't perform according to the "formula" the way larger TCs do.

In my experiments, more turns (via finer wire) makes a small improvement,
but only an inch or so, nothing dramatic.

In my experiments I've tried aspect ratios of 3, 3.5, 4, 5, and they all
perform about the same.

(caveat, I have gotten longer sparks, but only briefly, after which my NST
burned up, because I openned up my spark-gap too wide. since then I've
been using a safety gap religiously).

(note, I have not tried a SRSG yet).

(last note, a "blown gap" does add noticably to my spark length over a non-
ventilated one).

this hobby is all about experimenting, enjoy,
Pete Lawrence.

 >Original poster: "Mudford, Chris by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<chris.mudford-at-agresearch.co.nz>