Re: A double resonance solid state Tesla coil

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

 > > First, I did put pads under all the parts, but it turned out the ones I
 > > bought from digikey were non-insolating!
 >
 >ok! good you were aware of the problem :o)  Btw, I found the wiring
 >style a bit scary... OTOH, as you used heavy cabling, maybe the wiring
 >inductance really is low enough (especially at soft-switching).
 >At least, when something blows up it's easier to replace ;-)

That wiring is tame compared to some point-to-point wired audio amplifiers
I've seen. :o
And that's tame compared to my senior optics final design project. . . .

 > > I'm using
 > > motor run caps, don't yet know how much current they can stand. I'm
 > > guessing they are going to blow up on me.
 >
 >I'd imagine that too... Motor run capacitors are intended for 50/60Hz
 >operation, not RF range <=> 100kHz, nor high current.
 >
 >It would be much better if you used FKP1 or MKP10 type polypropylene
 >capacitors. These are rated for awesome pulse currents and high frequency
 >operation.
 >
 >http://www.wima.de/navig/menue/prsubnav/forhcr/forhcr.htm
 >
 >And, they aren't an expensive rarity. I'm sure you can get them from
 >digikey too, if your corner electr. components store doesn't have any.

Motor run tank cap?  yikes:
http://www.geindustrial-dot-com/cwc/products?pnlid=4&famid=7&catid=29&id=motorRun

"Geek Caps" at $3.00 each are hard to beat, too:
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group