RE: IGBT gate drive experiences-Reply II

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Hi David,

I didn't get your first comment (Reply I ?).

 > One thing I noticed is you have no snubbing
 > network

Good point. In the early stage of the design (2 years ago) I tested some
and I didn't find any benefit.
It is also to be said that the IGBTs are switching at zero current, with
minimal switching losses. That's why I was not so concerned about
snubbers.
On the other hand, that time I was not so "experienced" with catching
those transients on the o-scope. That time I thought I had I robust
design there :))
If it's still breaking, I'll get back to this issue with you. Thank you.

 > The other
 > point is the
 > loop area between your filter capacitor and the IGBT totem
 > pole must be
 > as small as possible, the loop area and induced currents can generate
 > horrible ringups.

The loop area is as small as I could design it. Would you have a look to
the PCB and tell me what you think about it?

 > This circuitry is nearly identical to IR21531D half bridge
 > circuit I'm building
 > for a SSTC / IH driver so that's why your work is of much
 > interest at this end.

Please, let me know about how that will perform.

Best Regards