Re: newbie to tesla stuff

Hi James,

At 02:10 PM 1/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>OK, I have never built a Telsa coil before, so how do I get started? I
>think that I need a dummies for Tesla book or something. But, in the
>meantime could someone recommend a website or a book that could help me
>get going in the right direction?

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/

Here are 340+ other quality Tesla coil sites

http://j.webring-dot-com/hub?sid=&ring=TeslaRing&id=&list

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/

>I have lots of questions and I don't know where to start. Here are few
>that I have:
>
>What's this stuff about Tesla putting coils on a ship to make it dissapear
>from radar? Did this actually happen and did it work?

Sounds like hogwash there ;-)  "Tesla stuff" not only attracts real
practical coilers like us,  but also attracts some very strange individuals
who make bazaar claims.  If someone is claiming something really odd or
"magical" associated with Tesla or Tesla coils, it is untrue...  There is
practically nothing about Tesla coils that is not explained by basic
electronics or physics.

>What's so special about high frequency electicity? Can't it still kill you?

See:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Safety/safety.htm

>What is a spark gap? Do I need one of these?

You will need one.  Here is a simple one:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/terrygap.jpg

>Anyway, I am really new to this, so I don't even know what kind of
>questions that I should be asking. My main goal is not to kill myself!!!!!!!

A great goal!!

Just start looking around the web at various coils and stuff on the web and
it will start to all make sense.  I also note you are from Richmond where a
very famous Tesla coil group is:

http://cator.hsc.edu/~kmd/tcbor/

I am not sure how active they are anymore, but there are some big time
coilers in your town.

Cheers,

         Terry