Re: newbie to tesla stuff

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Welcome,

I see that you are in Richmond, VA.  Get a hold of the Tesla Coil Builders
of Richmond.  I'm sure that they would be glad to help a new coiler.

The first thing before you build a coil for yourself, is hit the books.
Anything about Tesla that sounds too good to be true, IS NOT TRUE!  Study up
on electrical safety, circuit theory, ect.  They will be useful.  The
Archives here will also be useful.  I wish I had this list back when I
started.  The ARRL handbooks can be useful.  I believe Brent Turner also has
a book. (anyone?) I think there are a few more on this list that have
written books on this subject.

When building your first coil, keep it simple.  Start with a basic coil
first, until you get the hang of it.  Do not go for the biggest baddest
monster coil of them all.  Those built by inexperienced coilers usualy end
in failure. (my first coil, spark length 1/8", spark gap 3/8")

Do not trust that just because it's high frequency it won't hurt you.
Remember! It is still electricity, and if the conditions are right, it can
and will electrocute you.

David E Weiss