more newbie questions

Original poster: "james brady by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <james_brady10-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Why did Tesla make a coil in the first place? I wonder how he figured out
how to do all of this stuff in the 1800's, he must have been really
freaking smart. What was it that he was trying to accomplish? Other than
just the fun of making one, is there any pracitical purpose?

I was wandering if I could make a capacitor using 1 gallon glass pickle
jars. Since my wife is pregnant, I have a lot of them laying around and I
have been trying to find a use for them. If I can use them, how do you
figure out the capacitance?

Why do I have to use a neon sighn transformer? How come you can't use a
transformer from something else?

Also, I noticed that in Spencer's, that they sell something that likes like
a Telsa coil with a glass globe covering the whole thing. I am sure that
people know what I am talking about. So, is this a Tesla coil?

My background:

majored in psycology, ba in 1994.

then decided to do something for real, so I decided to get into the
computer field. Actually, I had been doing computers since 1983/84. My
first computer was a TI-49a. I thought that was the best thing that there
ever was. Anyway, I have been a network admin for several years and the
current company that I am working for sells pagers and cell phones, so I
have to do component level repairs. We use a frequency generator to tune
pager oscillators to the correct frequency. I have my MCSE,CCNA,CNA,NET+,A+
and a bunch of other junk certifications. I noticed that most people in the
computer field know little about electronics, myself included.

james brady
richmond, va