Re: Dip Meter TC Tuner

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Steve/All

>Might have to cannibalize one out of a cheap AM radio.  If you know of
>sources, please post it or email me directly - they are becoming scarce
>items.

Can't speak for anywhere but Australia, but I have seen ex-military
variable caps on Yahoo auctions over here.  But you're right, neither
Farnell nor RS have them listed (I haven't tracked down a Digikey Australia
yet).

Old wireless sets should be plentiful in junk shops, so that may be the answer.

This does raise the question: how do people build radios now if you can't
get variable capacitors? (Apart from trimmers.)  I'm sure that they don't
use variable inductors and I didn't think that RC oscillators were suitable
for high frequencies; forgive me for being out of date...

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith            | Business: http://www.kbc-dot-net.au
IT Consultant            | PGP Key:  http://gpg.mss.cx