Re: more newbie questions

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

James,
  My very first capacitors were made from gallon pickle jars. I used
aluminium tape on the outside rubbed very smooth, then salt water filled
to the tape line on the inside. I put a little oil on the salt water and
used 1\2" copper t's with one pipe extending into the salt. Each jug
gave around 5nf so i ganged 5 or 7 together, (placed on aluminium foil
for connection) to power nst powered coils. I once ganged 11 of them
together with a very fancy copper tubing array, this gave me a nice
.06uf that stood up to a 300-1 pt at full power.

these are very nice starter caps so I say "go for it" (I tried to upload
pics of them on my site
"http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/index.htm
But it's down right now?
Take care,"back again" Marc M.