Re: Best location for spark gap

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 05:49 PM 04/01/03 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Nir Wingarten by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nirzvi-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 >Hi all
 >
 >I've just finished 'studying' some old TC plans and
 >noticed the spark gap's location is diffrent in every
 >one(usually before or after capacitors), the question
 >rasied is which location is better?
 >
 >Yours truelly
 >Nir(NOT NEAR) Weingarten

Hello Nir,

I believe you'll find that the thinking of today is to put
the gap across the power source, be it a MOT, NST, PDT, or
other type of transformer.  It offers some protection from
any "spikes" that may want to find their way back into the
power source from the primary tank circuit.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca