Re: HV Measurement - Back to Basics

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Matthew,
Interesting -- the meter has a built in dropping resistor, not the most
common arrangement, but as you have pointed out, certainly one that is
surmountable.

My suggestion is that you use only 1M2 resistors in you chain.  If they are
half watt resistors, they you will have a total available power dissipation
of about 14 watts, so each individual resistor will be dissipating about
half of its rating.  If you use 1 watt resistors as you mentioned, then
each would dissipate only a quarter of its rating, so you would have less
resistance change from heating.

As previously mentioned on the list, IIRC, the max voltage rating on
typical film resistors is about 1000 volts, so an 1100 volt drop across
your 2M2 resistors might be pushing things a little.  You might get away
with it, but if there is a single resistor failure, then the whole string
might fail catastrophically.  Best to check the specs on the particular
brand of resistors that you plan to use.  Remember that the TC environment
is full of spikes and transients which can easily be double or triple the
"rated" values of the circuit, so it's a good idea to over engineer the
circuits.  It's not the steady state situation that destroys things, but
the sneaky transients that come up to bite you.

If you put your rectifier bridge at the low end of your divider string,
remember that diodes are nonlinear devices.  They will not conduct at all,
and your meter will show a zero deflection, until the voltage across the
bridge is about 1.2 volts.  This means that the supply will be delivering
15 kV * (1.2V / 100V) or 180 volts before the needle even begins to move.

You can view the system as a current mode operation after the diode bridge
begins to conduct, so you would not invoke the 70.1V correction that you
proposed in your last posting.  The bridge will make a -180 volt
subtractive offset across the entire range of the meter, rather than a
0.701 multiplication effect of the scale.  That's not enough to seriously
affect you scale accuracy, but you will have to remember that "0" on the
meter does not necessarily mean 0 volts from the supply.

Dave